"It never gets easier, you just go faster"

Twitter- AnnaM_Hughes
Instagram - anna_mariehughes
Strava -www.strava.com/athletes/annamarie_hughes
Athlete page on Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/annamariehughescycling

Tuesday 25 March 2014


Saturday 22nd March 2014 – 1st round of the Women’s Team Series at Hog Hill

            Today I had the first of the Women’s Team Series races at Hog Hill with my new team. I was a mix of emotions going into this race, obviously excited to be racing with my team, but also a bit nervous as in the past I’ve never been able to conquer this circuit. However, I also knew that I was going into this race in quite good form.
            I arrived at Hog Hill with plenty of time before the race so it was nice to just relax and have a catch up with my team mates. Soon enough, though, my race preparation routine kicked in, including my warm up. A few minutes later, I was on the start line ready for race to start with a massive field of 100 women. When the race started, I felt good and comfortable riding in the bunch. I didn’t feel too pushed going up the hill each lap and recovered quickly each time. The race was going much better than I expected; I had no problems staying with the main bunch and I decided to stay sheltered in the middle of the bunch for the majority of the race. On the final lap  I positioned myself towards the front of the bunch. In the bottom flat section there was an attack off the front, which I joined as during the rest of the race I had conserved my energy so that I felt strong enough. I was in a great position at the bottom of the hill, in about 7 or 8th position. However, I misjudged my effort and when I hit the steepest part of the hill, I had nothing left in my legs and unfortunately I seemed to be going backwards compared to everyone else. I finished 36th which I’m quite pleased with, but also aware that if I hadn't gone with the attack I would have probably finished a bit higher. Still a good result for my first Women's Team Series Race.













No comments:

Post a Comment