"It never gets easier, you just go faster"

Twitter- AnnaM_Hughes
Instagram - anna_mariehughes
Strava -www.strava.com/athletes/annamarie_hughes
Athlete page on Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/annamariehughescycling

Tuesday 25 March 2014


Sunday 23rd March 2014 – 1st SEWTT’S TT 

Today I took part in my first ever time trial, 21 miles on a very demanding course consisting of many hills, a poor road surface and strong winds! This TT was the first one in this year’s new South East Women’s Time Trial series (SEWTT’s) which is a great event encouraging more women, like me, to do TT’s. I’m entered in the 4th Category for this year, as it’s my first year, I most definitely have the aim to win this category and to produce similar times that would be competitive in the higher categories as well. The atmosphere at this first event was great and I can’t wait for the next one I do in a couple of weeks’ time.

            It was quite an early start, and combined with the fact I had the Women’s Team Series race the day before, I was feeling slightly tired. I was not as tired as I might have been, as I had received my new Skins recovery tights the day before which certainly helped my legs recover - thanks Skins! I had already done a recce of this TT course a few weeks back with Jasmijn so I knew what to expect from the course and how to pace myself accordingly, especially as there were a few tough hills. The TT started on a relatively long drag hill which I was certainly relieved to get to the top, also knowing that I had exciting, slightly twisting, long downhill section to contend with next; I was certainly able to pick up the pace and maintain that speed on the flat roads following it. Then though came some steep hills where the fatigue in my legs certainly began to kick in, I used a small easy gear to keep my legs spinning and eventually I reached the top. Annoyingly, at the top of one of the hills, my chain came off when I was switching from the small ring to the big ring. I lost a couple of valuable minutes here getting off my bike and putting the chain back on. Overall though, I was pleased with my time compared to the other women, I came 12th out of 50 women. I also came 1st Junior and 1st in the 4th Category. For my first TT I’d say it was an encouraging result and hopefully, with more practice, I will be even more competitive with the women in the higher categories.  That concludes my busy weekend J

No comments:

Post a Comment