"It never gets easier, you just go faster"

Twitter- AnnaM_Hughes
Instagram - anna_mariehughes
Strava -www.strava.com/athletes/annamarie_hughes
Athlete page on Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/annamariehughescycling

Monday 21 April 2014


Good Friday Track Meeting at the Lee Valley Velodrome

I was back again at the Olympic Velodrome, this time for the Good Friday Track Meeting, racing with my 2 teammates, Sophie and Paige. Today’s track meeting certainly favoured the sprinters as the races for the women were match sprint, keirin and 20 lap scratch. As I’m more of an endurance rider, this event didn’t particularly suit me but it was definitely great to get some sprint practice in. I also used today's meeting as an opportunity to experiment with different gearing in the different events. Last year as an under 16, I was restricted to using a maximum gear of 49/15, so as this was my first track meeting as a junior I decided that this was a good opportunity to make the most out of unrestricted gearing, and experiment. Overall, I think I made good gear choices, and hopefully with more practice, e.g. at track league, I will find out the best gears for me for each event to produce the best results. My best event of the day was the scratch race where I finished 8th, which overall  I'm pleased with. However, I would have preferred a longer scratch race, 40 or 60 laps, which would have suited me better. I'm looking forward to getting more track time at the Lee Valley Velodrome, the next time being week 3 out of 4 of the track accreditation training sessions on Monday.

Thanks to Laura for the photos :)



No comments:

Post a Comment